Armament Haki is a suit armour equipped for 2 purposes; to force the body of a Logia into solidity, and to amplify destructive power & defensive durability through the Hardening of specifically solid-structured objects (meaning nothing fluid, gaseous or ethereal). This attribute of “Hardening” makes Armament Haki impossible to complement Devil fruit attacks that lack a solid-structure.:
- Light based attacks :- Hardened Light? Light can’t be hard.
- Fire based attacks :- Fire can’t be hard, it’s a gas.
- Smoke based attacks : – Smoke can’t be hard, it’s a gas.
- Mero Mero based attacks :- Mero Mero attacks are not solid.
Simply put, it only complements solid-structure beings, or objects; attacks based on magic or ethereal have no Armament utility.
Not only does Armament Haki not compliment some attacks, it also overrides any ability that turns the user’s body into something that’s not absolutely solid, i.e., Sabo’s fist is covered in flames, he proceeds to cover his fist in Armament Haki, it returns to human form and then takes on the Armament Haki coating.
Bare in mind that someone like Jozu or Luffy in their forms are still solid, so Armament Haki will work as usual without complications.
Armament haki can only harden things that are solid-structure, Logia in general are not solid-structure, so when they use haki, they switch back to a tangible form as can be noticed.
To simply put it, Logia can use Armament haki, but not mix it with intangible forms which is why the fist is not a Armament Haki claded fist in Smoker’s case, but a fist with Armament Haki.
A Logia will only use strictly employ Armament Haki if :- Their ability is not strong enough to deal damage, so a weapon or fist claded in Armament Haki becomes more ideal.
Akainu never used Armament Haki against Whitebeard, why? His ability was still capable of burning Whitebeard, so there isn’t a need for him to switch to Armament Haki over his Magma powers.
The different relationships are…
- Superiority relationship :- This is the instance where 2 Logia DF share similar properties, but one is superior; Magma can quench fire and render fire’s ability to burn redundant (being that magma’s a semi-liquid), this results in the fire user getting burnt and ultimately losing.
- Antagonistic relationship :- Ice nullifies Magma & Magma nullifies Ice; Aokiji and Akainu share such a relationship so it’s a battle of attrition. They can both hurt the other without using haki and with their abilities to produce their elements, it’s no surprise this battle lasted 10 days.
- Symbiotic relationship :- This is a relationship between 2 Logia DFs that can’t really hurt each other and in a sense are harmonious in the presence of each other; neither can hurt the other.
Hierarchy determines how Logia will fight the other; with Armament Haki or without need to rely on Armament Haki. Even in the event that 2 Devil fruits have a symbiotic relationship, or one of superiority, relationship between abilities doesn’t determine the superior opponent, it simply determines the limitations as to how one will fight.